Jamia ka Tarana

Jamia ka Tarana

Sep 13, 2007

Jamia senior secondary School...Gupta Ji

GUPTA JI

Biology teacher in Jamia Senior Secondary School during my stay in 1983-87.

Even today I don't know his full name, other than Gupta Ji. 

He was tall, dark old man in his 50's. 

A thorough gentleman and well versed with knowledge of his subject. 

Biology lab was incomplete without Gupta Ji and Jumman Bhai (lab assistant). 

They were a pair, one taught the theory and one prepared the practical, and together they made biology come alive for boys who would rather be anywhere else but in a classroom.

I have chosen mathematics and Urdu in class XI, but have enough experience with Gupta Ji during IX and X. 

Those two years were enough to know the man, enough to respect him, enough to remember him. 

He was not the kind of teacher who shouted.

 He was not the kind who threatened. 

He was the kind who simply stood there, patient and calm, and waited for you to realize your mistake on your own.

When allotted with section C in IX standard in Higher Secondary School, I was pretty happy and satisfied because maximum friends of class VIII were there with me. 

It was the first time that section C was created in 1983-84 due to bad results and complete IX "A" was filled with those students who didn't succeed to class X. 

Therefore, newcomers from middle school were accommodated in a fresh section "C".

However, new to Higher Secondary School, new to biology class. 

Those days biology class was situated on first floor, just above the chemistry lab and class. 

The whole block was in symmetry with one on middle school side. While coming from principal office, it was on the left side of pathway going to Jamia Nursery School (new building) and extended up to playground overlooking physics lab. 

It was a classroom like any other, with wooden benches and a blackboard and windows that let in the Delhi heat, but for us it became a stage where a small moment would become a lifelong memory.

It was a biology period, and we all were sitting in a jolly mood and listening to Gupta Ji. Taqueer, Rashid, Muzaffar, Qyamuddin, Zia and I was sharing one table, and Tauqueer continuously saying something supported by Rashid Rafique and Muzaffar. 

They were the talkers, the jokers, the ones who could turn any classroom into a comedy show and I was part of them.

Gupta Ji once pointed out "Beta chup ho jao" (Son, please keep quiet). 

His voice was soft, tone was gentle & he was not angry. 

He was just asking, requesting, hoping that we would listen.

Since he was very polite and we were new to Higher Secondary School and the fellow sitting with me were really Guru, therefore they kept continuing and I was part of them. 

Someone laughed and Gupta Ji once again "Beta... Khamosh ho jao."

He just continued with cell, membrane and dissection and we continued with joke dissections, totally unaware of next happening. The words floated over our heads. The warnings meant nothing. We were young, we were foolish, we were having fun.

Tauqeer said something funny and we couldn't stop our self. The laughter came out before we could catch it. Echo of our laughter went from one table to another, reaching to Gupta Ji and finally came back to us. It was loud, it was uncontrollable, and it was the last straw.

Gupta Ji stopped and asked angrily, who was he? No one uttered a single word and Gupta Ji asked once again, who was he? The silence was thick, the kind of silence that makes you hear your own heartbeat, the kind of silence that makes you look at the floor and wish you could disappear, and then the third call came.

I thought, if I take the blame, then these people will be spared and what maximum will happen? Gupta Ji never beats anyone. 

Maybe he will slap me once and that's it!

On his third call, I raised my hand.

He then said, come here.

I went to his desk. He moved back to the door, closed it and took one thick piece of wood (palang ka paya) (I don't know the English of it).

I looked at it and said to myself, Zubair, this is your last day in school. 

In one hit you will have a broken bone. 

I also looked at my friends. 

They were also in a state of shock, but not like me. 

Another thought came to me that, today I will be paying the cost of friendship.

Gupta Ji angrily moved at me. I closed my eyes and tightened my body in position of "Saawdhan" (attention).

Yes, he struck me by holding it in both hands and I felt it on my hips. The pain shot through my body, sharp, burning, unforgettable.

Second one on the same place but all to ALLAH, the almighty and to the termites who infested the wooden piece therefore once struck it broken into two.

Gupta Ji looked at broken piece and then at me. 

Ordered me to go and sit down.

Class finished.

All my friends asked if I get hurt. I said no. We went to canteen, relaxed a bit and cursed Tauqeer who finally cleared the bill.

I decided not to take blame of anybody, but it was a temporary decision and I repeated the mistake many times for my friends and still in practice, despite loosing alot in many ways.

Next day Gupta Ji called me and asked, did I get hurt?

He said to me, "I know you were not alone but you took the blame."

"Beta, class mein khamosh rehte hain, mujhe maarna achcha nahi lagta hai, ab khayal rakhna."

(Son, be quiet in classroom, I don't like to beat anyone, be careful next time).

I also forget yesterdays' happening because his love prevails his punishment.

1 comment:

  1. I also was the student of Sir Gupta, I passed X class in 1983 from jamia Millia Islamia New Delhi
    Zahid Husain
    Pakistan

    ReplyDelete

Jamia ka tarana (english)




This is the land of my hopes
This is the land of my dreams
This is where men with zeal stayed
Men who answered the leaders' call
It is here that torn-off love
Found the cohesive chords
It is here that wayward passions
Formed into frenzied love
It is here that the wild tulip learnt
How to make the scar of heart aglow
This is the land of my hopes
This is the land of my dreams
This is the place of men of vision
And of those with a challenging thought
Every morning here is new
And every evening newer still
Different is this tavern
And different are its norms
Different are the dancing cups
And different is their dance
Here drinking begets thirst a new
And different is this tavern's call
This is the land of my hopes
This is the land of my dreams
Here, conscience is the beacon light
And conscience is the guide
Here is the Mecca of heart resides the guiding faith
Ceaseless movement is our faith
And blasphemy it is to stay still
Here, the destined goal is the march on and on
Here, the swimming urge seeks
Newer and newer storms
Restless wave itself is our resurrected shore


Translated by: Prof. M. Zakir