Mathematics was never just a subject in Jamia Middle School.
It was a challenge, a hurdle, a test of patience and survival, and that is why most students tended to take tuition from Farooq Sahib during my school days back in 80's.
Farooq Sahib was the safe choice, the familiar choice.
He taught at school.
He taught at home.
He was also a class teacher of different subject, which meant he knew us beyond just our math's skills.
He knew our weaknesses, he knew our strengths, and he knew how to push us.
While in VI standard, we were introduced to a new teacher.
Hameed Sahib.
Topi, sherwani, normal height and small black beard. Smart, intelligent, quick and always carrying a black leather bag with him.
Within a few days we grew afraid of his carry bag.
That bag was not just a bag. It was a warning because inside that bag was a stick!
He joined the school and every day made it a practice to open his bag, take out a small stick and hit all the students on their palms. Believe me, it hurt a lot and became worse during winter season. The cold made it sharper, and the sting lasted longer than usual.
Girl or boy, all had to keep their hands on the desk.
He would come with the stick and hit right on the palm and a wave of pain would intrude inside with sensations that remained for 15 minutes and even later. If you were late to the class or delayed in keeping book and notebook on the desk, then you had to pay a higher price. Otherwise, one hit was a normal practice.
He was given with one section, and the other section went to Farooq Sahib, who continued with his usual style of teaching at school and later giving tuition at home.
Since Hameed Sahib was good in teaching and due to his hit man habit, many students sought tuition from him to find an easy escape.
The logic was simple.
If you understood him, you avoided the stick.
He lived near to Zakir Nagar masjid, and the specialty of his tuition was far different from Farooq Sahib or any other teacher at that time.
He rejected the normal style and adopted a new style, created a classroom, placed chairs and a glass green board. T
his attracted many students despite the fact that he charged Rs. 200 for one hour per student per month as compared to Rs. 150 of Farooq Sahib.
Initially there was no problem, but the whole school smelled the rivalry between two teachers when students started withdrawing themselves from Farooq Sahib and joined Hameed Sahib.
Farooq Sahib often became irritated and frustrated due to this in the classroom and students had to face the heat.
Most of the time we saw his anger inflicted on to Mirza brothers.
The advantage with Farooq Sahib was that he also taught another subject and was a class teacher, not limited to one subject.
During half yearly examinations and specifically the maths paper, I got both of them as my invigilators.
It was like two lions in one territory.
I had some problem in one question, and I asked Hameed Sahib near to me for clarification. He came and told me if I can't understand then attempt another question.
Hameed Sahib went to the other row, and Farooq Sahib immediately approached me and asked what I was asking Hameed Sahib. I repeated and told him that he refused.
Farooq Sahib became a little angry and explained the question to me along with the solution.
I felt delighted.
After a few minutes, Hameed Sahib approached me again and questioned what Farooq Sahib was telling me.
I told him the truth.
He asked how many questions were left.
I said five.
Do you find it difficult?
I said yes, one of them and I pointed it out.
He then solved the other question for me.
Farooq Sahib was staring from another row and came soon after Hameed Sahib departed. Again, the same things happened and I got another question.
Overall, their rivalry solved four questions for me 😄
Actually, I was not alone in that room as beneficiary, Tanweer & Shamama were among others.
Looking back and remembering those days with such rivalry made me smile because students were benefited by them in so many ways, although what benefit we got was totally wrong.
I still remember, once Hameed Sahib came to me and offered me to join his classes free of cost and I refused him with thanks.
The reason for his offer was that he always covered more than what he covered in class. Therefore, majority of students took tuition from him to perform better in class and in sessional assessments.
I have given many additional hours to the subject at home and by the grace of ALLAH secured a position in grade VI.
Often, I met Hameed Sahib during college and senior secondary days. He passed always smiling and I always look back to my palms.
No comments:
Post a Comment